Friday, November 18, 2011

Tennessee to Texas in a Rockaway Carriage, 1858

My Dear Scott and Kenney:
John Moran, your great grand-father was the brother of my grandmother, Martha Helen Moran.  She married my grandfather, Rufus Franklin Scott.  They were all born in Dresden Tenn.
In 1858 my grandmother and grandfather drove to Gainesville, Texas, in their "Rockaway" Carriage with their own wagon train.  Manned by their three slaves, who were wedding presents.
Their five sons were born in Gainesville:
Will -Real Estate
Dr. Arthur Carroll, chief surgeon of the Santa Fe Railroad and founder of Scott and White Hospital in Temple, Texas.
Moran, a judge in Ardmore, Okla.
Oscar Franklin (my Dad) farming, real estate and with five friends "wildcat" drilling for oil in Oklahoma and Texas.
Berry: died of T.B. soon after graduation at Auburn Uni.
I'm sure Martha Helen Moran Scott and her son, Oscar, would love for you each to have one of her Sterling Silver serving spons.
I give them to you with much, much love from all of us.
Fondly
Auntie Ir
Thanksgiving 1974.  Dresden Tenn. with you all. Yippee!!


That letter was sent to my husband and his brother back in 1974 when they were teenagers living at the Moran family home from their cousin Mary Irvine Scott Sheperd.  Her grandmother, Martha Helen Moran Scott, was the sister of my husbands great grandfather John Williamson Moran.  In addition to the letter we have several pictures of the Scott family.  The picture below is from about 1880.



Rufus Franklin Scott 1828-1905
Martha Helen Moran Scott 1833-1901
William J. Scott 1859-1917
Moran Scott 1863-1925
Arthur Carrol Scott 1865-1940
Oscar Franklin Scott 1871-1931
Berry L. Scott 1873-1903

No comments:

Post a Comment