Friday, May 11, 2012

Vanderbilt Training School, circa 1893

It was very important to John W. Moran that his children receive the best education money could buy.  His two sons, Charles Harrell Moran and James Henderson Moran, attended Vanderbilt Training School in Elkton Kentucky prior to their entrance to Vanderbilt University in Nashville Tennessee.  Here we have a letter from Principal R.E. Crockett to their father detailing their work for the year.  It's obvious Harrell is the diligent son while Jim prefers good times.  Hence our nickname for Jim...Good Time Jimmy!  Both young men excelled in deportment.

Elkton KY July 10th 189_
Mr. J.W. Moran,

My Dear Sir:
Touching the reports of James and Harrell enclosed with this letter, I may say that Harrell has done faithful and good work during the year and would have made a far higher average had he not still been laboring under the disadvantage of incomplete work before he came into our hands.

Still, it is my opinion that he deserves commendation for the marks he has made.

In regard to James, I wish I could say as much.  But, to be candid, James does no more work than he is compelled to do.  I have taken a personal interest in him this year and urged him to try for a medal, for which I thought he stood a good chance.  But he disregarded my interest in him and my wishes in the matter.  This happened near the end of the session and caused me to change my opinion of him.  Judging from what has developed during the past few months of the session, it is my opinion that James needs a little more force applied to him than he has yet rec'd from me.

It seems to me that we have borne as patiently with him as possible and in my opinion the time has now arrived when he should be given positive handling.  It is also my opinion that, in case the young men return, James at least should change his boarding-house.  He should get a home nearer to me.  Boys who board at a distance have the advantage when they decide to throw their time away.  I am much disappointed in the way James has worked and the marks he has made.  And if you see fit to read him this letter, you have my full permission.

In regard to both the young men, I can truly say that they have borne themselves as gentlemen should during the entire year.  There is no complaint against their deportment.

Asking you to extend to your wife and family my kindliest remembrance of my pleasant stay at your home, I am

Yours truly,

R.E. Crockett










Quarterly Report of Harrel Moran
In English Very Good
In Latin Good
In Greek -
In Mathematics Good
In German -
In History and Geography -
In Composition -
In Deportment Excellent
R.E. Crockett, Principal
Remarks: Harrell has rapidly improved this year and is much more successful.  We count him one of our best and most promising students. R.E. Crockett










Quarterly Report of James Moran
In English Moderate
In Latin Good
In Greek -
In Mathematics Good
In German - 
In History and Geography -
In Composition -
In Deportment Excellent
R.E. Crockett Principal
Remarks:  James is doing much better work this session than heretofore. R.E.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment