Wednesday, November 28, 2012

1848 Odd Fellow of the Day William Landrum

I want to preface this post by saying that William LANDRUM is not the only LANDRUM listed in the Odd Fellows book.  In addition, there is a page for Samuel LANDRUM and W.P. LANDRUM which will be covered in later posts.



I don't really want to get into trying to figure out the genealogy of every person listed in the 1848 Ledger Book although goodness knows I do try! So I'll tell you what I find from a brief search and I hope that other people might stumble onto the page and say hey, that person is my great great uncle.  And then maybe they'll send me some biographical information to add to the post.

Having said all that...

I found a William LANDRUM listed in the 1850 Slave Census for Weakley County Tennessee.  He must've been very well off because he owned 27 slaves at that time.  In addition, I found a William LANDRUM living in the household of William P. LANDRUM in the 1870 Census for Dresden Tennessee.  The elder William is 58 years old, meaning he would've been born about 1812, and it said he was born in Virginia.  William P. LANDRUM was 32 years old and born in Tennessee.  The occupation for both LANDRUM s is "grocer".  Which begs me to wonder is William P. the son of the elder William?    Is William P the W.P. LANDRUM listed on another page of the Odd Fellows Ledger Book?  I would think so but can't be certain.  Also, I ran across a few genforum posts that indicated William LANDRUM had a son named Samuel.  Is that Samuel the same Samuel listed in the Odd Fellows Book?

One other interesting note, William LANDRUM lives in dwelling number 359 in the 1870 census.  Living just down the road in dwelling number 355 are B.D. IRVINE, his wife Agnes Moran, their brood of children and also John Williamson Moran and his aunt, Eliza Moran.

Small world.

The top part of the ledger page was devoted to William LANDRUM.  Beneath appears to be transactions of the lodge entered by the bookkeeper.

I don't know what all of the transactions are for but here are the names mentioned:
Thomas BOWERS
Thomas B. FRIZELL
A.W. KING
James E. BONDURANT
J.W. HARRIS

At the bottom it says "This settlement was made June 14th/51 by H.C. McCUTCHEN & E.J. WHITE as Committee appointed by the Lodge & the Order was filled and given to Bro Landrum... $326.39

No comments:

Post a Comment