Moran Place is located in Dresden,TN. Built by John Williamson Moran for his wife Sophia Riley Gunn. The house used a modified design of George Barber's Cottage no. 36 from his Cottage Souvenir Book No. 2. Construction began in 1895 but was put on hold when Sophia Moran became ill. She died Oct. 7 1895. A few months after her death construction resumed. This blog is about the history of the Moran family & their life at Moran Place. Money is fleeting, History is forever.
Saturday, March 9, 2013
School Days With Sophia Gunn, 1870
Sophia Riley Gunn
Before she became Mrs. John W. Moran at the tender age of 18, Sophia Riley Gunn was living in Nashville with her prominent father, Dr. Lyman Taft Gunn. Dr. Gunn was reputedly one of the first if not the first dentist to open up shop in Nashville.
Sophia's School Bell
It is reputed that Sophia came to Dresden TN, probably in the late 1860's, as a teacher and that J.W. Moran fell in love her with at that time. They were married December 27, 1871 in Weakley County, Tennessee.
Sophia rang the school bell to call the children to class each morning. Education was of great importance to Sophia and John and this importance was passed down to their children. Jim went on to become a lawyer and would take the position of Bank President at the death of his father in 1912. Charles (Brud), attended business college and was the head cashier at the bank and though he didn't have the title of President, he was responsible party of the two sons. Their daughter Fannie followed in her mother's footsteps and upon graduating from college became a school teacher and later was heavily involved in civic activities and politics. She was Tennessee's first Democratic National Committee woman and for a time an associate social editor on the Nashville Banner. Ida had a love of music and her educational pursuits were along the lines of furthering her abilities as a pianist. Marion, the youngest, was dedicated to educational pursuits and was a founding member of the Delta Beta Sigma Sorority.