Located in Dresden TN, Moran Place was built by J.W. Moran for his wife Sophia Reilly Gunn. It's a modified design of George Barber's Cottage no. 36 from Book No. 2. Construction began in early 1895 but put on hold when Sophia became Ill and died Oct 7 1895. Construction resumed a few months later. The items presented here are from Moran Place.
Monday, May 13, 2013
Dresden Enterprise Apr 24 1896 - The Illustrated Edition Part 3 "Weakley County in Brief"
This is the third in a multi-part series featuring the April 24 1896 edition of the Dresden Enterprise. If you missed the previous posts you can find part one here and part two here
Colored M.E. Church
Weakley County In Brief
Situated on the western slope of the plateau of West Tennessee, and is bounded north by Kentucky, east by Carroll county, south by Carroll and Gibson, and west by Obion. The county has an area of seven hundred square miles, and is drained by the north, south and middle forks of the Obion river. Its tributaries are Mud, Cypress and Cane Creeks. The dividing line of the twelfth and thirteenth surveyor's district runs through the town of Dresden. The western part of the county is generally level: the other portions gently undulating.
The Subsoil being of clay, fertilizers are well retained, Oak, hickory, sweet gum, ash and other timbers, with
some walnut and poplar, are abundant, except the latter two. Evergreen holly is frequently found in the woods.
The first settlers were Uncle Reuben Edmonston (now gone to rest) and his brother-in-law, John Bradshaw and family. The next settlers in this neighborhood were Isaac H. Ward and Wm. Miles. The famous DAvy Crockett once lived in the southeast part of the county, and in our court-house now is a legal document bearing his signature. Lewis Stunston, recently deceased, was the first white child born within the county's limits. He died possessed of much wealth. Dr. J. Almus Gardner was the first white child born in Dresden.
The county was created by an act of the legislature October 21, 1823.
A tract of thirty-nine acres was donated for the town site by John Terrell. For fifty dollars seventeen and one-half acres more were added thereto, making fifty-six and one-half acres in the town site. In April of the year 1825 the first town lots were sold--$5,742 being realized. This sum went towards erecting public buildings. The first courthouse was a brick structure, built by John Scarbrough, of Stewart county. Later Emerson Etheridge, Alfred Gardner and Dr. A.G. Holden, commissioners, let the contract for a new court-house, the old one proving too small, and $16,000 was appropriated. The final cost was $20,000. The present jail was completed in 1875, at a cost of $8,000. It has been added to since, and is a nice two-story brick. $100,000 was subscribed by a small majority vote to build the N., C. & St. L. road, which was completed through the county in 1861. The county has lost the whole amount of its stock.
The following are the first recorded officers: county clerk, Wm. H. Johnson; circuit clerk, Mears Warner;
sheriff John J. Calvert; trustee ? Dodd; register, William Landrum. The latter two are not the first, and their predecessor's names are lost to history. Adam R. Alexander was the first congressional representative. The first term of the circuit court in Weakley county was held November, 1827, John C. Hamilton presiding. The chancery court at Paris had jurisdiction over chancery business here until 1838. Jas. Julian was the first grand jury foreman, and the first indictment was against Wm. Ward for assault and battery, who plead guilty, threw himself on the mercy of the court, and was fined one dollar and costs. The first murder trial was the State vs. George W. McClain and Wm. Price for the murder of one Stunston. McClain escaped from jail while under sentence to hang, and was never rearrested. Price was later acquitted. The first and only judicial hanging in the county took place June 181853. Anthony and Alfred Peck, colored, were hanged for the murder of their master, the maternal grandfather of our present circuit court clerk, Mr. John J. Thomason. Milton Brown was the first chancellor.
The Tennessee Patriot was the first paper published in the county, Jesse Leigh, editor. Its first issue contained the message of President Van Buren. In the newspaper business he was succeeded by Carlton & Whittlesey, and they by Wash Talbert and he by A.W. King, who published a paper about the year 1849. Somers & Guinn published the dresden Spy a short time in the fifties. Henry Massey published a paper preceeding the civil war. The Gossiper was published six months in 1867 by W.F. Hampton.
Weakley County Court House
The complete list of links in this multi-part series: