Monday, June 16, 2014

Fire, Latin, Macbeth and Thank you for the Money Feb 14 1899

Jim Moran III
St Albans School 1899
Gustave Toutant Beauregard
St Albans School 1899

As much as I enjoy Moran letters I love it when they are written on letterhead giving additional information. For instance, this letterhead tells me Jim was an associate editor with his friend Gustave Toutant Beauregard on Promus '99 which might be the yearbook for St. Albans School.



page 1





Malcolm J. Taylor, Editor-In-Chief
Ray Jones, Business Manager
PROMUS '99
Associate Editors:
Henry G. McCall
Charles S. Brent
James H. Moran
James B. Faulkner
Gustave T. Beauregard

Radford, VA    Feb 14, 1899

Dear Papa:
Your letter with the check enclosed was received a few days ago and I was very glad to hear from you.  The check could not have reached me at a better time, for it will now come in very handy.  Last night one of the main buildings caught fire from the furnace and it took us over an hour to put it out.  I never saw such a cold night in all my live, the water would freeze in ten steps of the fire.  I ruined my shoes and pants but otherwise come out alright.  The weather is moderating somewhat and I think it will be a great deal warmer tomorrow.

page 2
page 3
Tell Sister (Fannie) that the book which I wrote for was the Latin book Livy and if yo she can find it to please send it at once, she can also send me her notes on Macbeth.  I must bring this letter to a close.  Write soon, with much love to all.

Your son,
J H Moran










page 4

No comments:

Post a Comment