Saturday, August 27, 2011
Dr. Arthur Carroll Scott Sr. renowned Cancer Specialist
Martha Helen Moran was one of John Williamson Moran's sisters. She married Rufus Franklin Scott and they moved to Gainesville Texas. She and Rufus had five sons: William, Moran, Arthur, Oscar and Berry. Arthur Carroll (also seen as Carrell) Scott was born 1865 and died in 1940.
Arthur Carroll Scott Sr. packed a lot into that 85 years. He graduated from Bellevue Medical College in 1886 winning an internship to Western Pennsylvania Hospital. He returned to Gainesville and married Maud M. Sherwood and began private practice in 1889. He was appointed Chief Surgeon in 1892 of the Gold, Colorado and Sante Fe Hospital in Temple Texas. He and Dr. Raleigh R. White Jr formed a private partnership in 1897 and in 1904 they founded they Temple Sanitarium which the directed together. Dr. White died in 1917 and Dr. Scott established a partnership with Dr. B.V. Brindley Sr and Dr. M.W. Sherwood. The hospital became the Scott and White Hospital in 1922.
Dr. Scott was in internationally respected authority in the diagnosis and treatment of Cancer. In 1933 Scott and White Hospital received accreditation from the American College of Surgeons as a cancer treatment center, the first in Texas. Dr. Scott was active in local organizations and numerous medical organizations. The hospital he helped co-found became a multi-specialty treatment facility and is renowned throughout the United States. Dr. Scott even has an historical marker dedicated to him by the Texas Historical Survey Committee.
Here is a Christmas card from Dr. and Mrs. Arthur Carroll Scott Sr., to his Moran cousins in Dresden, TN. The envelope is missing but we know it pre-dates 1940 as that's when Dr. Scott passed away.