Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Football, Money, Health and Studies: Letter to Papa Nov 1900

James H. Moran was 21 and had left Dresden, TN to study law at the University of Virginia in 1900.  In this letter to his father he mentions an election defeat, football, the furniture bill, his studies and money.  Whether it's 1900 or 2013, letters to parents all seem the same.

Charlottesville, VA
Nov. 9-'00

Dear Papa:

Excitement over the election has caused me to be a little negligent in writing home; but as it is all over now I hope to be able to settle down to work and forget the bitterness of defeat.  I received your letter with the enclosed check Monday for which I thank you very much.  My furniture bill has not been settled yet but as soon as I get it will send it to you.

   





I am in excellent health except for a slight pain in my back which one of the medical students' says is caused by a weak kidney.  It will be alright I hope in a short time. This is the first time in years that I have missed playing foot-ball and although I have managed to do more studying I must confess, I don't believe it is caused from quitting the game.

Law grows more interesting but harder everyday.  At last I am beginning to appreciate the finer points of which the study is made up of completely.  Take a page from any of the books, read it over once and its all Dutch, the second time you get a faint idea; after that it grows plain.

We play Georgetown in Washington tomorrow week and I had thought of going over but am rather afraid to risk it now since one of our examinations is posted for the 5th of December.

I am glad to hear that you are all well and hope you shall continue so throughout the winter.

With love to all devotedly
        Your Son
            James H. Moran







No comments:

Post a Comment