Friday, December 23, 2011

1908 Letter, Doubtless You will be Surprised...

Even in 1908 people were interested in genealogy.  This letter is from Willie W. Moran of Boswell, Oklahoma.  He was the Assistant Cashier at the First National Bank in Boswell, the identical position that Charles Harrell Moran held at the Dresden Bank in Dresden, TN.  Willie came across Charles name in the bank directory and thought they might be related.  I haven't done extensive research but what I've found seems to indicate these two Moran's may share a last name but they don't share the same family line.  There is an extensive genealogy page devoted to Willie Moran's line if you are interested.  

Willie's grandfather was Madison Moran and he was the son of James Edwin Moran and Mattie C. Brown.  He was "borned" close to Water Valley, Mississippi in 1868.  Interestingly enough some of his family ended up in Lonoke County Arkansas which is where many of my Billings relatives lived.  As a matter of fact, according to the 1920 Census these Morans were on page 17 and the Billings were on page 32.  There's a good chance that they knew each other.  Later Willie and his family moved to Honey Grove Texas.  When he was about 37 they moved to Boswell, Oklahoma.  He doesn't mention having a wife or children and he makes no reference to being a preacher which according to the history of his family he was married three times, to sister, and he was a preacher.

May 4th 1908

Mr C.H. Moran,
Dresden, Tenn.
Dear Sir:-
Doubtless you will be surprise to get this letter form me, but looking through the Bank Directory, I found your name as Ass't. Cashier, of the Dresden Bank, and as you xxx spell your name same as mine thought I would write and see if we were related.
My grandfathers name was Madison Moran, and would be something over 90 years old if he was living.  He died when he was about 60 years old.  I know one of his brothers name but never did see him, his name was John.  He died close to Arkadelphia Ark.  Grand Pa died close to Little Rock Ark.  Grand Pa mooved from near Water Valley Miss. when he came to Arkansaw.  My Fathers name is Edwin Moran, and is living now close to where Grand Pa died.  I was borned close to Water Valley Miss., and we mooved to Arkansaw when I was five years old and I lived there till I was 23 years old and went from there to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Honey Grove, Texas, where I lived for nearly fifteen years and then came from there to this place and have been here nearly three years.I was 40 years old this past January,and, my Father, was 62 loast month.  I am the Ass't. Cashier, of the First National Bank, of this place as you will see from the heading of this letter.  I have been with these people little over one year xxx.Business is very quiet here now as we made a complete failure on cotton last year.  Corn was good.  The prospect is very gloomey for the time of year for a crop.  The timber business is quite an item with us in this country.  Trusting to hear from you soon, I remain, 
Yours very truly,
Willie W. Moran

No comments:

Post a Comment